Foundation and Floor Joist Issues
A damaged foundation or floor joist system can be a costly and dangerous problem, but the good news is that these problems can be repaired. It is important to recognize the signs and symptoms of foundation issues so that they do not go unnoticed for too long. Foundation and floor joist problems are often caused by water intrusion, and therefore the water problem would need to be solved before the foundation can be properly repaired.
Signs of Foundation Damage
- Visible cracks in the basement or crawl space walls
- Cracking in slab, floor tiles, or sheet rock
- Cracking or separating molding
- Uneven or sloped floors
- Doors and windows not functioning properly
- Wall rotation
Causes of Foundation Damage
- Poor construction – improper soil preparation or improper foundation construction
- Moisture Intrusion – water and time is a destructive force
Signs of Floor Joist Damage
- Squeaky floors
- Sagging floors
- Visible rot or softness in the wood floor joists
- Visible rot or softness in the wood piers
Causes of Floor Joist Damage
- Poor construction – not enough supporting piers or too much span between supporting piers
- Insect damage
- Improper utility penetrations – holes or groves cut into floor joists while installing electrical, plumbing, phone, cable, or HVAC components
- Bulk water – standing water in the crawl space can cause wood piers to rot, compromising the entire floor structure
- High humidity – a humid crawl space can lead to mold and rot in the floor joists themselves
Green Frog Recommends…
Green Frog Waterproofing excels at evaluating your foundation and floor joists and providing repair solutions for homeowners. Give us a call today for a free inspection and quote if you suspect foundation problems.
You are a unique individual, living in a unique home, on a unique piece of property.
This is why Green Frog believes that your water issue deserves a unique solution.